How To Make a Meme
How to Make a Meme
This wikiHow teaches you how to create basic memes online. Memes are visual representations of humor that are often based on current events, viral videos or images, and humor trends.
Consider the different types of memes.While there are countless subcategories of memes, there are a few main overarching categories:
- Traditional(or"normie") memes involve a stock photo or a screenshot from a movie, viral video, or magazine. These photos typically have text that fits the visual tone of the photo added to them.
- Dankmemes involve absurd or out-of-context humor. Dank memes also often attempt to bring back a dead or dying meme by overusing it constantly.
Understand meme humor.Since memes are often humorous takes on current events, meme humor can be insensitive or socially inappropriate. Meme humor is also often absurd or patently nonsensical, with the idea being that the ridiculous nature of the meme will lead to entertainment.
- One example of insensitive meme humor is the influx of memes regarding Harambe the gorilla after he was killed by Cincinnati Zoo staff.
- An example of absurd meme humor is the practice of using bass drops or distorted sound to emphasize a moment in a video.
Research currently popular memes.In order to understand fully what kind of content qualifies as a meme, look up memes from your current year. You can also narrow the search by including the month.
- For example, typingmemes January 2019into a search engine would come up with memes regarding the "Ugandan Knuckles" VR Chat phenomenon, some Tide-related humor, and the U.S. government shutdown.
- You can also research currently popular videos and images if you want to try to predict the next upcoming meme.
Reference other memes or viral videos in your memes.When making memes, referencing popular events, books, movies, video games, and so on will increase the comedic value of the memes.
- For example, many memes involving videos of accidents (e.g., bike crashes) will place a Call of Duty "Round-Winning Kill Cam" filter over the accident.
Combine two attributes that clash with one another.Pairing a tame image with explicit text (or vice versa) sets up the meme for a bizarre, nonsensical presentation, which is often the nature of viral memes.
- For example, combining a still shot of Winnie the Pooh with profanity-laced humor is a good way to evoke an absurd tone.
Creating a Traditional Meme
Open ImgFlip.Go to in your computer's browser. ImgFlip has one of the most comprehensive meme databases available and it also allows you to upload your own images to make a meme.
SelectCreate.This button is in the upper-left side of the page. Moving your mouse cursor onto it will prompt a drop-down menu to appear.
ClickCaption a Meme or Image.It's in the drop-down menu. Doing so opens a page with meme templates.
Select an image.Scroll through the popular meme templates in the upper-right side of the page until you find one that you want to use, then click it.
- You can also upload your own photo to meme by clickingUpload your own imagein the upper-right corner of the page, clickingUpload image from your device, selecting an image, clickingOpen, and clickingUpload.
- If you want to search for a specific meme, click the "Search all memes" text box on the right side of the page, type in the name of the meme (e.g., "Harambe"), click the yellowView All Meme Templatesbutton when it appears, and select your preferred image.
Enter a caption.In the provided text box(es) on the right side of the page, enter the caption(s) that you want to use for the image. Since captions are often position-sensitive, you may have to rearrange your captions' text if it doesn't suit your photo.
- For example, the traditional meme caption is horizontal text at the top and at the bottom of the meme image.
- Some memes, such as memes involving a button, will involve a caption box on the button itself.
ClickGenerate Meme.It's a blue button on the right side of the page. This will create your meme with your selected image and caption.
Save the image.When the generated meme appears in the pop-up window, right-click it, then click theSave imageoption in the resulting drop-down menu. This will save the meme onto your computer.
Creating a Dank Meme
Understand the driving principle behind dank memes.For a meme to be considered "dank", it has to capitalize on absurd, uncomfortable, nonsensical, and/or dissonant concepts (for example, a dank meme might attempt to make you laugh about a tragedy).
- Dank memes also tend to reference old or dead memes and/or irrelevant viral content (e.g., a meme in 2019 referencing the death of Harambe).
Find an image to serve as the meme's base.This can be a screenshot of a conversation, an image from pop culture (e.g., a movie or a TV show), or literally anything else that you want to use as a platform.
- Try to find either an image that has current implications (e.g., an image of the Queen of the United Kingdom) or an image that has absolutely nothing to do with current events (e.g., a stock photo of a sunset).
Open the image in an editing program.Microsoft Paint is widely used for dank memes on Windows computers—in fact, Microsoft Paint is a bit of a dank meme in and of itself—but Mac users will most likely have to use a service such as Pixlr (an online photo-editing program).
Add text to the image.Unlike traditional memes, dank memes usually encourage text placement in odd, non-uniform areas of the photo.
- For example, you might put text near a person's mouth if it's something they're supposed to be saying.
- Alternatively, many dank memes use text to label objects. A common dank meme trend involves something like taking an image of a person throwing a dangerous item at a threat and then labeling the person "me", the threat "the doctor", and the item "an apple a day" (or something similar).
- Most photo editors allow you to add text by clicking the "Text" button in the toolbar (typically anA-shaped icon) and then either clicking or clicking and dragging the cursor across the photo.
Add other content to the image.For example, some dank memes involve taking a picture of an iconic scene and replacing one character's face with the face of a public (or viral) figure.
- Dank memes are loosely categorized, so as long as the image is absurd or ridiculous in nature, it will qualify as a dank meme.
Save your image.Once you've saved the image onto your computer, you're free to upload it to your preferred social media or meme page.
- You might want to watermark your image with your username or signature to ensure that it remains associated with you.
QuestionShould I post in r/dankmemes?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, but don't post anything from a meme generator or people will call you a normie.Thanks!
QuestionCan I sacrifice my firstborn child for meme creation power?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou probably can, but then you'd be a murderer. Harambe would be disappointed.Thanks!
QuestionDoes a meme cure/cause depression?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTechnically, it does neither. However, according to research, laughing does good for our health.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I make a good meme?Community AnswerTake the time to really think about a funny idea for a meme. You can brainstorm ideas, or one might randomly pop into your head. Don't try to make a meme when you don't have a good joke in store.Thanks!
QuestionIf I don't own the rights to the original photo or don't know who owns the rights to it, can I still watermark the meme?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou can't watermark it, but you will still be able to use the picture. You probably wouldn't need to watermark it, anyway.Thanks!
QuestionCan I make money creating memes?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIf you are a professional YouTuber or a graphic designer/print worker, then it's possible, but it's not likely.Thanks!
QuestionWhy are these memes so stale?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerBecause people sometimes don't have a sense of humor, and sometimes they don't understand what "irony" is.Thanks!
QuestionI want to make original, serious or romantic memes; how do I add a song?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerPaste your YouTube URL into the middle caption. The music will then play. Don't use songs you do not have the rights to use.Thanks!
QuestionI want to add two pics to a meme. How do I do that?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerJust make it two separate pictures in the same post, or edit it into a collage.Thanks!
QuestionwikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThanks!
To make a meme, start by deciding if you want to create a traditional meme, which involves pairing a stock photo or screenshot with amusing text that fits the tone of the image, or a dank meme, which uses text and images in an absurd, bizarre, or out-of-context way. Next, upload your chosen image to a free online meme generator like ImgFlip, add your humorous caption, and click "Generate Meme" to get the finished product. Then, save the image to your computer and start sharing your meme!
- A meme can be as simple as taking an out-of-context picture and then posting it with the caption "When [context]" (for example, a picture of an elephant skeleton with the phrase "When you eat too much on Thanksgiving").
- Memes can be ruthless in their humor, and the meme community is often no different. If you choose to contribute to the meme community, be prepared to see harsh, inappropriate, and/or offensive content on a routine basis.
In other languages:
Español: , Português: , Italiano: , Français: , Deutsch: , 中文: , Русский: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Nederlands: , ไทย: , العربية:
Video: How to Start a Meme Page
A Comprehensive Guide To The Different Types Of Braids
The Idris Elba Style Lookbook
Princess Charlottes Tiny Curtsey Is the Cutest Thing Youll See Today
How to Use Google Hangouts
How to Become a PE Teacher in the UK
Use Leftover Nail Polish to Make the Prettiest DIY Gifts This Christmas
Nathan Zephyr Fire Runners Flashlight Review
Justin and Jessica’s Fashion Week love-in
Trump rips Avenatti after Julie Swetnick allegations against Kavanaugh
Laughing about cancer Stupid Cancer Comedy Benefit in NYC
Facebook just eliminated its gender pay gap