Tips & advice for blog design | CharliMarieTV
How to Design Blogs
This wikiHow teaches you how to design your blog to be attractive to viewers, as well as how to design blogs on popular blog platforms such as WordPress, Wix, and Tumblr.
Choose a blog topic.Before you even come up with a name or a color palette for your blog, you need to know what kind of content you'll use the blog to create. This is important for a couple of reasons:
- Direction- Knowing which direction your blog is headed will help inform your design choices (for example, an all-text blog might want to use expressive visuals to make it more appealing).
- Audience- You can get a general idea of who will be visiting your blog based on your topic, making it easier to determine how flamboyant or simple your blog should be.
Consider your ideal demographic.Based on your blog's topic, you should have an audience in mind, which will help you decide on a design theme later.
- For a blog about modern video games, for example, you might gear your content toward people in the 15 to 30 age range, meaning that you can experiment with different color schemes, visuals, and organization templates.
- If you're writing for an older, serious, research-driven audience, you'll most likely want to keep your blog fairly minimalist (e.g., black-and-white tones, simple font, minimal photos).
Name your blog.Naming your blog before you begin designing it will help inform some design decisions (such as your preferred title font), so come up with a title for your blog before you begin planning your blog's design.
Determine a consistent design.Whatever design philosophy you decide to use (e.g., minimalist), you'll need to employ it consistently throughout your blog.
- For example, every page of your blog should use the same design philosophy, not different ones.
- If you're still unsure of how you want to structure your blog's design, research current blog design trends. This will most likely provide the safest style of blog design.
Gather any resources that you'll need.These include pictures, videos, and content (e.g., text posts) that you want to post on your blog from the beginning.
- When actually designing your blog, it helps to have all of these resources in the same folder (e.g., theDesktop).
Decide on a blog platform.You'll find instructions for designing , , and blogs below, but you can apply this section's tips to virtually any free or paid blog platform.
- You'll want to remember your intended demographic while selecting a blog platform, as each platform has a slightly different tone and user base.
Begin designing your blog.A few common tips for doing so include the following:
- Use contrasting colors.Schemes such as black-and-white tend to appear cleaner than colors that clash (e.g., green and orange).
- Don't overcrowd the page.While visuals and sidebars are important, make sure that there's some white space (e.g., background) on the page. This will provide some relief for your audience.
- Use photos sparingly.Photos in particular can quickly crowd your page and take away from written content.
- Follow common Internet design conventions.These include things like having menu bars at the top of the page, search bars at the top of the page, additional links at the bottom of the page, and so on.
Update your blog's design as needed.You may find that your viewers have suggestions about certain aspects of the blog (for example, some may find that your link text is too hard to read); as such, you'll probably want to update your blog's design and layout to meet user needs.
Open WordPress' free site.Go to in your browser. WordPress is one of the most popular platforms for creating text-heavy blogs.
Enter your blog's basic information.This is the information that will be used to optimize your blog later. To do so:
- ClickGet Started
- Enter a title in the "What would you like to name your site?" text field.
- Enter a short description in the "What will your site be about?" text field.
- Select a goal by checking the box to the left of one of the options in the middle of the page.
- Select a comfort level.
Create a URL for your blog.Type your preferred blog address name (e.g., the "facebook" part of "www.facebook.com") into the text box at the top of the page, then click the[name].wordpress.comentry, which should be at the top of the list of results.
- Unless you want to pay for a custom domain name, your blog will have to have ".wordpress.com" at the end of its address.
Scroll down and clickStart with Free.It's a grey button at the bottom of the page. Doing so takes you to the account creation page.
Create your login credentials.These are the credentials which you'll use to log into WordPress later:
- Enter an email address in the "Your email address" text box.
- Enter a different username (if desired) in the "Choose a username" text box.
- Enter a password in the "Choose a password" text box.
Confirm your email address.You'll need to do this before you can begin customizing your WordPress blog:
- Open the inbox for the email address that you used to create your login credentials.
- Select the "Activate [blog name]" email from WordPress.
- Click the blueClick here to Confirm Nowbutton in the email's body.
Select a theme for your blog.ClickThemesin the left-hand sidebar, then find a theme that you want to use, click it, and clickActivate this designat the top of the theme's page. Your theme will serve as the base for your blog's design.
- Not all themes are free. You can filter the available themes into free-only by clicking theFreetab in the upper-right side of the Themes page.
ClickCustomize sitewhen prompted.It's a blue button in the middle of the theme activation pop-up window. Doing so takes you to your blog's customization page.
Click theSite Identitytab.You'll find this on the left side of the page.
Edit your blog's basic presentation.While each theme will have slightly different options here, you can edit the following options for most blogs:
- Site Title- You can adjust the title that appears at the top of your blog here.
- Tagline- This text refers to the word, phrase, or description that goes below your blog's title.
- Any changes that you make will appear in the main WordPress window, allowing you to preview your changes as you go.
Return to the editing section.Scroll up and click in the upper-left side of the page to do so.
ClickColors & Backgrounds.This option is on the left side of the page.
Edit your blog's color scheme and background.The Colors & Backgrounds section will vary depending on your selected theme, but you can usually select your preferred color palette for the blog, your preferred background image or color, and your preferred text color from here.
Return to the editing section.Scroll up and click the "Back" button to do so.
Edit any other aspects of your WordPress blog.From this point, any other changes that you want to make will be made from within this menu.
- For example, if you want to add a new menu to your blog, you would clickMenus, select the type of menu to add, and fill out any requested information.
- Keep in mind that the customization options for your blog will vary heavily depending on your selected theme.
Publish your changes.When you're satisfied with how your blog appears, click the bluePublishbutton at the top of the sidebar. This will save your blog's changes and publish it online for anyone to see.
Open the Wix website.Go to in your browser. Wix allows you to customize virtually every aspect of your website simply by double-clicking an item or aspect that you want to change.
Create your Wix account.This is the account that you'll use to log into your Wix profile:
- ClickGet Startedin the middle of the page.
- Click theSign Uplink at the top of the page.
- Enter your email address and your preferred account password.
- ClickSign Up
Click .It's a link on the right side of the "What kind of website do you want to create?" page.
ClickChoose a Template.This blue button is on the right side of the page. Doing so opens the Wix editor.
Select a template.Find a template that looks appealing to you, place your mouse cursor on it, and click the blueEditbutton when it appears on the template's preview. This will open the template.
ClickStart Now.It's a blue button near the bottom of the page.
Create a title.Double-click the placeholder title text, then type in the title that you want to use for your blog.
- You can edit the title's font, size, and color in the pop-up window that appears next to it when you double-click it.
Edit any other elements on the page.To edit an item, double-click it, then select new options for the item in the resulting pop-up menu.
- You can even change the background by double-clicking it and then selecting a background preset.
- The editing options will vary depending on the item that you want to edit and your selected template.
Publish your blog.When your blog matches your design expectations, clickPublishin the upper-right corner of the page to save it.
- You can view your published site by clickingView Sitein the resulting confirmation window.
Open Tumblr's website.Go to in your browser. Tumblr is a relatively simple blog platform that doubles as a social media site, making it perfect for casual or image-heavy blogs.
Create your Tumblr account.This is how you'll log into your Tumblr blog later:
- ClickGet Started
- Enter an email address, username, and password.
- ClickSign up
- Enter your age.
- Check the "I have read..." box.
- Check the "I'm not a robot" box.
Verify your email address.To do so:
- Open the inbox for the email address that you selected for your account.
- Open the "Verify your email address" email from Tumblr.
- Click theThis is me!button in the email.
Select five topics to follow.Click at least five topics which you'd like to see in your dashboard. You'll have to do this before you can proceed.
Click .It's a blue button in the upper-right corner of the page. Your Tumblr dashboard will begin to load.
Open your blog's page.When the dashboard finishes loading, click the person-shapedAccounticon in the upper-right side of the page, then click your blog's name in the drop-down menu.
- Your blog's name will be listed as your username toward the bottom of the page.
ClickEdit appearance.It's an option in the upper-right side of your blog's page.
Scroll down and clickEdit theme.This option is near the middle of the blog's settings page. Doing so opens the blog editor.
Select a theme for your blog.ClickBrowse themesnear the top-left corner of the page, scroll down until you find a free theme that you like, click the theme to preview it, and clickUseat the top of the sidebar to apply the theme to your blog.
Enter a title for your blog.Type your preferred blog name into the "Title" text field in the left-hand sidebar.
- This is the title that will appear at the top of your blog.
- You can also change your title's font, color, and size on most themes.
Edit any other theme options.Scroll through the sidebar and edit anything that you think should change on your blog. Your available design options will vary heavily depending on your selected theme, but you should have some of the following options for most blogs:
- Background Color/Image- This dictates the color and/or image that's used as your blog's background.
- Add a Page- If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the sidebar, you will usually have this option, which allows you to add a page (e.g., a "Contact Me" page) to your blog. You can edit each page independently of your main page.
Text ColororBody Color- This option determines the color of your text.
- You'll often also see different color options for link text, title text, and so on.
Save your changes.When your blog's appearance is satisfactory to you, click the blueSavebutton at the top of the sidebar. This will save and publish your blog's changes.
- The blog services listed in this article are among the most popular and intuitive ones available, but there are countless different blog-hosting services (e.g., Blogger, Weebly, Google Sites, etc.) for you to choose from.
- Each theme option for any blog service will have different settings than other theme options.
- Always make sure that you like the changes that you've made to your blog before publishing them.
Video: How To Design A WordPress Blog - 2016
Confirmed: Rosamund Pike Will Star In Big-Screen Version Of GoneGirl
How to Apply Tung Oil
How I Missed My Husband’s Addiction — and What I Did When I Found Out
Every Celebrity On the Planet Seems to Have the 2,800 Hermès AvalonBlanket
All of the 90s Fashion Trends That Have (and Havent) Made a Comeback
How to Alpine Tour
Pork, Bean and Corn Burrito
Men’s Fashion Basics – Part 32 – Scarves Snoods
One Easy Exercise for Beginners or People Who Are Seriously out of Shape